Martial arts dominates the Gosu world with many gosu (고수, gosu), of all levels of power, using different styles. While outer ki and inner ki both exist, inner ki is a major part of a martial artist's strength. It has been noted that in the hands of a gosu with great inner ki, even a dead leaf can become a weapon that can pierce iron plates. Despite this, outer ki fist arts can also be quite formidable.
The bodies of martial artists (and regular humans) have various important points on the body that determine ki output as well as one's mortality. There are twelve ki veins and eight erratic ki passages which are joined by the regular flow of one's ki. As well as that, a person has nine fatal points. If these fatal points are disrupted and a person continues using their martial arts, these fatal points will burst causing a ki overload and ultimately death. Martial artists also have eight extra meridians on their body that, if opened correctly, boost the gosu's inner ki levels.
Known Martial ArtsEdit
- User(s): Dang Gwe
A martial artist from Hadong claimed he had reached a level of "Diamond Body" (금강불괴, Geumgangbulgoe). Although it ended up turning out that this was a lie, Gang Ryong stated that those of the "Diamond Body" level could pick themselves out of a mountain of rubble after taking the Evil Negating Palmstrike, given a few hours to recover.
Divine Heavenly Destruction TechniquesEdit
The Twelve Divine Heavenly Destruction Techniques (파천십이신공 (破天十二神攻), Pacheonsib-ishingong) are a set of a martial arts techniques that constitute a style developed by Dokgo Ryong, the Heavenly Destroyer. According to Gang Ryong, no-one can take a Divine Heavenly Destruction Technique head on and live; however, Sa Paecheon, even whilst nursing internal injuries, took half of them from the Heavenly Destroyer himself and survived.
- Heavenly Destruction, Dark Wheel Strike
- Heavenly Destruction, Dark Wind Wall
- Heavenly Destruction, Eagle Talon Cleave
- Heavenly Destruction, Evil Negating Palmstrike
- Heavenly Destruction, Five Ring Palmstrike
- Heavenly Destruction, Pulverising Strike
- Heavenly Destruction, Radiant Wheel Strike
- Heavenly Destruction, Shattering Thrust Palm
- Heavenly Destruction, Space Sundering Palmstrike
- Heavenly Destruction, Thunder Hawk Strike
- Heavenly Destruction Secret Blood Technique, Extra Meridian Resonance
The Divine Heavenly Destruction Techniques can be chained:
Divine Jangbaek ArtsEdit
- User(s): Gwak Yeom
The Divine Jangbaek Arts (장백신공, Jangbaegshingong) is a martial arts style utilised by the Jangbaek Sage, Gwak Yeom.
Doh Family Spear StyleEdit
The Doh Family Spear Style (도가창법, "Doh-gah-chang-beop") is a renowned style of spearmanship used by members of the Doh Family of the Pungjin Sect. The Iron Lion is a master of said techniques.
- Doh Family's Flame Spear, the 13th Move: Empyrean Annihilation
- Pungjin Cross Slash
- Pungjin Spiral Dance
- Storm Slash
Flying Flash SwordEdit
- User(s): Soh Cheongwon, Soh Jinhong
The Soseondang's Flying Flash Sword (소선당의 선광비검, Soseondang-ui Seongwangbigeom) is a powerful style of swordsmanship that was passed down the Soseondang Clan. The Soseondang Clan existed near the Yunnan Castle and over generations they pursued the "ultimate understanding" of the sword rather than fame or honour. As a result, masters of the style are able to move at nigh untraceable speeds and slice through sturdy walls, boulders and trees as easy as a knife through butter. The swordsmanship of Soh Cheongwon the One Sword, the late 5th Clan Master of the Soseondang, was so swift and sublime that even renowned martial artists could barely follow his movements with their eyes.
Iron Shattering FistEdit
- User(s): Dang Gan
Iron Shattering Fist (철쇄권 (鐵碎拳), Cheolswaegwon) is a martial art used by Dang Gan. It seems to involve powerful strikes.
Life Drain TechniqueEdit
- User(s): Gha Woobok
The Life Drain Technique (흡성대법, Heubseongdaebeob) is a bizarre and remarkably unique martial arts style that involves the draining of ki and life energy from targets. It is a truly enigmatic art that, once mastered, enables its user to harmonise with the ki of natural elements (such as plants and rocks) and utilise their power as one pleases; retracing the martial art's origins, the Life Drain Technique are more like a Sage Art or Taoist Art than a martial art. The art requires a special physical constitution to be able to be learned and, in the days of the old murim, was taught under great secrecy.
- User(s): Sa Paecheon
The Welkin Lightning (천뢰 (天雷), Cheonloe) techniques are a series of martial arts techniques utilised by Sa Paecheon, the Devil of the Venom Hands. The strength of these techniques is enough that they can clash evenly with the Divine Heavenly Destruction Techniques utilised by both the Heavenly Destroyer and his disciple.
- Welkin Lightning, Blood Death Palm
- Welkin Lightning, Demonic Rings
- Welkin Lightning, Five Fold Palmstrike
Unclassified Martial Arts techniquesEdit
These are martial arts techniques that are not specifically linked to any particular martial arts style.
Certain people have the power to cast sensory illusions, ranging from simple ocular illusions (such as changing one's appearance) to overwhelming somatosensory ones (such as making someone believe they have lost a limb). Illusionists try to unsettle their opponents in various ways; the moment their opponent becomes rattled and lets their emotions get the better of them, the illusionist has already won. People who are single-mindedly driven easily succumb to even basic illusion techniques.
According to Yang Jeonghak, the best way to break free from an illusion technique is to not get caught in an illusion technique to begin with by avoiding the gaze of the illusionist and keeping one's composure. However, in the case that a person does succumb to an illusion, the quickest and simplest way to break free is through pain. However, because there is a fine distinction between imaginary pain and real physical pain, seizing the opportunity to break out of the illusion by noticing and using real physical pain comes down to the victim's willpower. Another method of breaking out of an illusion technique is to release a relatively powerful burst of one's inner ki at once, though the person needs to be reasonably more powerful than the illusionist for this to work.
There are many deadly toxins that are used in the branch of martial arts known as the Poison Arts:
- Demonic Blight (마호선, Mahoseon): A horrifying poison used by Sa Paecheon. Its effects include the slow degeneration of muscles and tissues.
- Gu (고 (蠱), Go): A unique class of toxic worms that are implanted into a victim, enabling their user to control the victim's body against their will. Mak Sapyeong was a user.
- Sage's Demise (신선폐 (神仙廢), Shinseonpye): A poison that the old man's most recent puppet coated his sword with. While its effects are largely unknown, if one does not begin restoring their ki immediately after being afflicted, their chance of surviving drops drastically; using more ki while afflicted will almost certainly cause death.
Notes & TriviaEdit
- The term "gosu" refers to someone who is highly skilled in a particular field. In the context of Gosu (The Master), it refers to a martial arts master.
- Gosu are said to have stepping and running techniques, so much so that they don't even leave footprints when they walk on snow.
- LINE's translation of Diamond Body, "Vajra Body" refers to Vajra, a Sanskrit word that means both diamond and thunderbolt.
- Tae-eum metastatic bone body (태음환골지체, taeeum hwangoljiche), is a rare physiological condition that causes the flow of ki that connects various ki points in the body to be reversed in comparison to regular people. As such, those with the condition have bodies that are not suited to performing martial arts techniques that utilise inner ki manipulation; those that persistently use inner ki techniques will cause their ki to flow in reverse, which causes the ki backflow to become entangled thus resulting in severe internal damage.
- High-level gosu that possess enormous ki levels and have attained enlightenment may undergo "Ultimate Metamorphosis" (환골탈태 (換骨奪胎), Hwangol taltae; "Corporal Reconstruction"). This refers to a transformation that completely restructures their body, as well as their core, expunging all bodily impurities and turning the body into a perfect medium for ki manipulation. This results in a perfect martial artist with a flawless appearance.